STANDLAKE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a meeting of Standlake Parish Council, held in the Standlake Youth Club, on 9th April 2013 at 7.00pm.

Present:

          Mr. C Naylor                                  Chairman                                           

          Mr. R. Reddy                                  Vice Chairman

          Mr. J. Rippin

          Mrs. J. Perry

          Mrs. J. Bayliss

          Mrs. B. Smith

          Mrs. J. Clements

         

          Mr. D. Bevan                                  Clerk

         

Cllr (OCC) Mr. C. Mathew, Cllr (WODC) Mrs. Hilary Fenton, Cllr (WODC) Mr. Steve Good, Mr. Gordon Hunt (OCC drainage engineer) Mr. P. Clements,

1.          APOLOGIES –there were no apologies.

2.          PUBLIC ITEMS – there were no public items.

3.          COUNTY and DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORTS

Mr. Mathew introduced Mr. Hunt who explained a project to relieve the flooding at Gaunt Mill and across Rack End at the Village Hall. The idea is be to install a pipe under the road to drain the water into the ditch alongside the recreation ground and thus flow down the ditches to the A415. Success depends upon the maintenance of the ditches by riparian landowners and OCC will, when water levels fall, ensure the culvert under the A415 is clear. However, all the water drains towards the Thames and if the river level is very high then the water will go no further than the ditch system. After some discussion, the council was in agreement about the project and the clerk will put Mr. Hunt in touch with Mr. Andrew Townsend, chairman of the Standlake Drainage Board. Mr. Naylor thanked Mr. Hunt for his attendance.

Mr. Good reported that discussions were continuing between WODC and Thames Water on possible solutions to the long term sewage problems in flood conditions. He was unable to give specific details but said that sources of finance other than depending only on TW were being researched to fund a possible new plant that would come on stream in flood conditions. He also reported that, rather than tanking the excess water away, TW were likely to apply for a license to pump the excess sewage water onto nearby fields. Neither of these reports was welcomed by the council but it was difficult to see a way forward. Mr. Reddy said that any new development should be stopped until the capacity of the sewage plant was improved. Mr. Good reported that he, and Mrs. Fenton, had ensured that a planning condition was attached to Noble Foods’ proposed expansion at Cotswold Dene to provide on-site sewage disposal for the proposed large increase in the workforce. Mr. Mathew noted that TW have a statutory obligation to provide services to new properties approved within the planning system.

Mr. Mathew reported that the Aston Road/Abingdon Road footpath was due to start on Wednesday 10th April. The installation of the VAS on The Downs was in hand and he was taking hastening action.

4.          DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – there were no declarations of interest.

5.          PLANNING - See attached planning record.

          13/0422/P/FP Erection of stable – land at Downs Road Standlake – no objection.

             13/0112/P/O/PEX Grant of permission extension to time limit erection of dwelling etc. 67 High St - noted

6.          MINUTES

Minutes of the meeting held on 12th March 2012, copies of which had been previously circulated to all members, were agreed as a true record and signed by the chairman.

7.          MATTERS ARISING

Flooding, Sewers, etc see County and District Councillors’ reports. The councillors expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of progress in addressing the sewage problems. Mr. Naylor was urged to send the letter drafted in January to David Cameron MP. Mr. Naylor said that now the situation was clearer he would do this and asked the clerk for copy of the letter to amend in the light of events since January.

WODC have installed the sandbag bunker in the car park and are asking for two names as contacts to act as key holders. After some discussion, it was decided that the clerk should contact the landlords of The Bell and The Black Horse to see if they would be willing to act in this capacity, given that their premises are open every day of the year and contactable by telephone.

A email has been received from Mr. Clack, 57 Rack End, (unable to attend because of a hospital appointment) saying that he understood that insurance companies treat No. 57 as a significantly higher risk than "up to no. 37" and says it would be helpful to know if they can justify, with reference to the EA if necessary, this discrimination since the EA budgets of 2007 and 2008. The council could offer no opinion but Mr. Mathew suggested that Mr. Clack contact Cllr. Rodney Rose at OCC who has taken an interest the effects on property flood insurance following the latest events.

Busses, Bus Stops nothing further to report at this meeting.

Playground/Recreation Ground & Maintenance Mrs. Perry reported that some items of play equipment needed painting and it was agreed that she should go ahead and obtain quotes for the work. She also said that there was still no sign at the tennis courts giving details of public access times and expressed her anger at this continuing situation despite numerous attempts to get the LWTC to comply. The clerk said he had still not received a reply to his email to the chairman of LWTC on this matter and the matter of proposed building of a pavilion facility. Councillors expressed their concern that there were indications that club was attempting to raise funding for a much larger building that would encroach further onto the recreation ground. Mrs. Smith said that this, if true, was totally unacceptable and it was agreed that the clerk would hasten a reply to his email of 21st March and Mr. Naylor will also contact the club and express the council’s concerns.

Traffic/Speeding a vehicle, the type changes regularly, appears for sale at regular intervals on the verge area at the junction of the A415 and B4449 in Brighthampton.  There are two concerns, namely: it appears that a used car business is being operated at this location, and that the placement of the vehicle causes a line of sight obstruction. It was decided that the clerk will contact PC Conner and ask for the police to look at the situation.

Highway Maintenance it was noted that the general state of roads in the area was very poor but it was also noted that some pothole filling had been carried out on the A415 near the Downs Road junction; however there were still many deep dangerous potholes between Standlake and Witney.

Footpaths Work on the Brighthampton path will commence on Wednesday. A request has been received from Oxfordshire Footpaths Society and The Ramblers for a Paths Warden to look after the rights of way in the Parish. Mrs. Bayliss has been the Parish’s liaison with OCC rights of way officers for some years but it was decided that the request should be advertised around the village to see if many of the many walkers would be willing to take this on.

Roads, Newbridge following his correspondence in October 2012, the clerk has contacted WODC again regarding the new nameplates for The Downs and Downs Road. It is now anticipated that they will be installed in May/June.

8.          CORRESPONDENCE - See attached correspondence record.

9.          ACCOUNTS

The following accounts were approved for payment:

OALC subs 2013/14                                                                   262.13

ORCC subs 2013/14                                                                   58.50

Standlake PCC - churchyard 1st half                                          600.00

Standlake Youth Club - contribution for use of club                    150.00

10.           ADOPTION OF 2012/13 ACCOUNTS

The clerk presented the 2012/13 accounts which included the majority of the Windy Way Play Park costs. Other income and expenditure remained broadly neutral compared with 2011/12. The Accounting Statement and Annual Governance Statement were approved unanimously.

11.       MEMBER’S REPORTS – there were no member’s reports.

12.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

The clerk reminded the meeting that the May meeting would be in two parts: the Annual General Meeting of the council at 6.45pm at which officers would be elected for 2013/14 and the Annual Parish Meeting at 8.00pm. Thames Water have indicated to Mrs. Smith that they will send a representative to speak at the meeting and PC Conner has agreed to represent Thames Valley Police. The clerk will advertise the meeting on the website, by Mrs. Dodds email list and by notices around the village.

The clerk announced that he would be away for the planned June meeting and asked for the date to be changed to 5th June. This was agreed, with Mrs. Perry registered her objection. There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.05 pm.

 

 

...................................................................................... Chairman   .................................................................... Date

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE  04/13

FROM

TOPIC

WODC

Notification of Council Tax

OCC

Oxfordshire Dial A Ride

LWVP

Report on meeting 20th March

 

Clerks & Councils Direct magazine

PLANNING 04/13

PLANNING No

DETAILS

13/0422/P/FP

Erection of stable – land at Downs Road Standlake

13/0112/P/O/PEX

Grant of permission extension to time limit erection of dwelling etc. 67 High St