STANDLAKE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a meeting of Standlake Parish Council, held in the Standlake Youth Club, on 29th January 2013 at 7.00pm.

Present:

          Mr. C Naylor                                  Chairman

          Mr. J. Rippin

          Mrs. J. Perry

          Mrs. J. Bayliss

          Mrs. B. Smith

          Mrs. J. Clements

         

          Mr. D. Bevan                                  Clerk

         

Cllr (OCC) Mr. C. Mathew, Mr. P. Clements, Mr. A. Kingston (Swift Cottage), Mr. and Mrs. Collier (Lincoln Farmhouse, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor (70 High St), Mr. and Mrs. N. Clack (57 Rack End) Mr. J. Hunt, Mr. S. Bridger, Mr. N. Owens (Standlake Broadband)

1.          APOLOGIES –apologies were received from Mr. R. Reddy, Mrs. H Fenton.

2.          PUBLIC ITEMS –

Mr. And Mrs. Collier wished to make it clear that, contrary to some information being circulated in emails, their property was not the cause of the present general sewer emergency in the High Street. The work being carried out adjacent to their property was the result of their insisting that Thames Water investigate further while repairing a valve and the subsequent discovery of a collapsed sewer pipe. They were, however, astonished to see, on TW’s CCTV camera, the very large flows of water through the sewer and questioned where this came from. This was also commented on by Mr. And Mrs. Taylor who said that live fish have been observed in the high water levels in the sewer when a manhole cover was removed.

The clerk gave the history of TW’s involvement in excess water entering the sewer system at times of high rainfall/flooding. Over 20 years ago TW worked with WODC to enforce the sealing of sewer chambers by property owners to stop groundwater entering the system and, as recently as 2008, a full CCTV survey of the system was carried out in conjunction with a OCC Highways survey of the road drainage system; a number of broken pipes and damage were identified and corrected at that time. What is clear is that any high volume of water, from whatever source, coupled with inadequate/failed pumps leads to the situation of sewage flooding now being experienced. TW have been robustly advised of this by the Parish Council many times but continue to claim that the system is adequate; hopefully, the current approaches by WODC will have more effect on TW.

Mr. Kingston asked for any evidence of what has been done to alleviate flooding since the 2007 floods so that he can negotiate with his insurance company. The clerk will send him a package of correspondence that deals with the situation since 2007.

Mr. Clack reported on his correspondence with the Environment Agency regarding the bund at Rack End. The replies have been less than satisfactory and he informed the council that he intends to take this matter further as he feels that in refusing to build the bund as agreed initially, which would have given full protection to his property, EA have discriminated against him; he will keep the council informed.

3.             BROADBAND UPDATE – the Standlake Broadband Group gave a briefing on efforts to bring superfast broadband to the village. The technical aspects of what may be offered by BT and Gigaclear can provide were detailed. In short, even if the village is selected to be upgraded under the OCC plans involving BT, and this is by no means certain, the service provided would not be as fast and as ‘future proofed’ as that proposed by Gigaclear. Furthermore, the timescale for introduction will be much shorter using the Gigaclear option.

Cost will be a factor, but those not wishing to take the Gigaclear option will, of course, be able to remain with BT. Contrary to some opinion that opting for the Gigaclear system, which requires 1/3 of properties to join the project, would remove any possibility of BT upgrading the general system, anecdotal evidence is that the opposite happens and BT will launch a programme of their own. Appleton has the Gigaclear system in operation; Stanton Harcourt and Northmoor are also looking at the proposals. The village will shortly be leafleted explaining the pros and cons and giving details of costs.

Mr. Naylor thanked the group and looked forward to further updates.

4.          DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – there were no declarations of interest.

5.          PLANNING - See attached planning record.

12/1753/P/FP & 12/1773/P/OP Erection of building for egg grading, packing & distribution with associate goods yard, car park & access roads – Cotswold Farm Cotswold Dene (Noble Foods Ltd)

It was decided that in general this application was to be welcomed but the council made the following comments:         

The current practice of directing HGV’s away from the village and Newbridge should be continued and made a condition of planning consent.

The pattern of shift working to avoid excessive traffic movements at peak times is welcomed

The current practice of HGV movements in the early morning or late evening is also welcomed.

Parking provision appears adequate.

In the light of Standlake’s on-going problems with sewage capacity, there should be an examination of, and upgrade if necessary, of the sewage system to cope with the estimated large workforce involved.

PC welcomes suggestion for possible improvement to the current bus stop by the addition of a bus shelter and would ask that this condition be added to the planning permission paid for out of 106 money.

PC has a slight concern as to the safe access from the bus stop to the site for pedestrians. The suggestion of a pedestrian refuge in the middle of the A415 would be a matter for O.C.C. Highways. In addition, OCC should be asked to consider a lower speed limit than the current 50mph in the vicinity

13/0035/P/FP Creation of separate access – 27/29 Rack End – no objections.

13/0075/P/S73 Changes to site layout – Fletcher’s Farm, Abingdon Road – no objections.

13/0112P/OPEX Extension of time limit – Erection of dwelling 67 High St – no objections

Tiles on new dwellings at Fletcher’s Farm: in spite of the decision to select a tile resembling the original, Mr. Cade (the developer) has informed the council that a WODC planning officer has decided that the tiles should be of the same kind and red colour as the adjacent new building. WODC Cllrs. Mr. Good and Mrs. Fenton were asked to intervene but report that WODC are adamant that the decision made is final: this is unacceptable to the council and the matter will be pursued further.

6.          MINUTES

Minutes of the meeting held on 11th December 2012, copies of which had been previously circulated to all members, were agreed as a true record and signed by the chairman.

7.          MATTERS ARISING

Busses, Bus Stops – the bus stop on Church End/The Downs adjacent to St. Giles church is now in place. The stop opposite Lincoln Farm Park has a large pothole whose condition has deteriorated while the sewer work is being carried out. It was suggested that Mr. Mathew take this up with OCC Highways with a view to inviting Thames Water to make the repair when the road is reinstated.

Windrush Way Play Park – the VAT reclaim and the final WODC grant has been paid and the account is now closed with a balance of £277.40 being absorbed into the general account. Future payments for maintenance/grass cutting etc. will be made from the Recreation/Playground Maintenance account.

Playground/Recreation Ground & Maintenance – the clerk has renewed the annual inspection programme with RoSPA/Playsafety Ltd. The inspection will now take place in July each year until the contract is cancelled.

Traffic/Speeding nothing further to report at this meeting..

Highway Maintenance nothing further to report at this meeting.

Flooding, Sewers, etc See also Public Items. WODC have proposed siteing lockable sand/sandbag bins in villages affected by flooding. The most convenient place in Standlake owned by the council is the car park at the church and inside the entrance on the right hand side. The clerk met with Mr. Ron Spurs of WODC and inspected the site which is deemed suitable. It was agreed that WODC should be informed to go ahead with the installation.

Footpaths Mr. Mathew will enquire as to the status of the Brighthampton path.

Roads, Newbridge Mr. Mathew confirmed that the cameras on Newbridge were working.

8.          CORRESPONDENCE - See attached correspondence record.

A letter from Mr. James Eaton (Manor Crescent) requesting a skate park in Standlake has been forwarded to the council by WODC. It was agreed that Mrs. Perry will contact Mr. Eaton and explain that provision for skate boarding has already been made at the recreation ground and that no space, or funds, were available for a full scale skate park.

Following the increase in funding to St. Giles for upkeep of the graveyard, the PCC Hon. Treasurer has written to thank the council and explain the renewal of the grass cutting contract at the church.

9.          ACCOUNTS – As reported at the December meeting, it was agreed that donations of £50 each be paid to Witney CAB and Volunteer Link Up.

The following accounts were approved for payment:

Volunteer Link Up - donation                                           50.00

Witney CAB - donation                                                     50.00

Playsafety - wway inspection                                         180.00

D C Bevan - repayment Arnold Baker book purchase          69.21

C R Naylor - chairman's expenses                                   243.00

10.           PRECEPT 2013/14 – following the government’s settlement with local councils the Precept can now be presented to WODC. It was unanimously agreed that the Precept for 2013/14 would be £21000 which would result in a Parish rate (the amount which each household pays) of £32.09 p.a. compared with £32.49 last year. The comparison is not strictly representative, as the calculation of the tax base has changed because of the government’s changes to local authority funding.

11.       MEMBER’S REPORTS.

12.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

The clerk reminded the meeting that he would be away from 1st February to 17th March but he would continue to respond to and forward emails. It was agreed that there would be no meeting in February and Mrs. Smith kindly volunteered to take the minutes at the 12th March meeting. There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.20 pm

 

 

...................................................................................... Chairman   .................................................................... Date

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE  01/13

FROM

TOPIC

James Eaton (17 Manor C)

Request for a skatepark

St Giles Church

Update on maintenance contract

 

Clerks & Councils Direct magazine

 

 

PLANNING 01/13

PLANNING No

DETAILS

13/0035/P/FP 

Creation of separate access – 27/29 Rack End

13/0075/P/S73

Changes to site layout – Fletcher’s Farm, Abingdon Road

13/0112P/OPEX

Extension of time limit – Erection of dwelling etc. 67 High St