Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of Standlake Parish Council, held in the Youth Club, Church End, on 17th May 2022 at 7.30pm


          Mr. B. Parnham               Chairman

          Mr. J. Rippin                   Vice Chairman

          Mrs. L. Burton

          Mrs. J Macdonald

          Mrs. A. Knipe

          Mr. D. Jeffcoat

          Mr. D. Bevan       Clerk


WODC Cllr C. Maynard, Mr. B Smith, Mr. J. Bond-Smith, Ms. A. Stribany and Mr. D. Miles (First& Last Mile Bus) Mr. N. Surtees (Savills)

1.      APOLOGIES – OCC Cllr Mr. D. Levy.

2.      ELECTION OF OFFICERS - Mr. Parnham stood down as chairman. Mr. Rippin assumed the chair and asked for nominations for chairman.

Mr. Jeffcoat proposed Mr. Parnham as chairman, seconded by Mrs. Macdonald; passed unanimously.

Mr. Parnham signed his acceptance of office and re-convened the meeting as chairman: he then called for nominations for Vice Chairman and Responsible Financial Officer.

Mrs. Macdonald proposed Mr. Rippin as vice chairman, seconded by Mr. Jeffcoat; passed unanimously. Mr. Rippin then signed his acceptance of office.

Mr. Parnham proposed Mr. Bevan (Clerk) as Responsible Financial Officer to the council, seconded by Mr. Rippin; passed unanimously.

Mr. Rippin agreed to act as the council trustee on the Poor's Allotments Charity, agreed unanimously.

Mr. Jeffcoat agreed to act as the council representative on the Village Hall committee.

3.      DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – There were no declarations of interest.

4.      PUBLIC ITEMS – Mr. Surtees introduced himself as a Town Planner representing Savills who are agents for the owner of Eagle Farm, High Street. Mr. Surtees said this was an initial contact with the community ahead of an outline planning application expected in June/July. He said that discussions had been held with WODC Planning and he presented a proposal to build 10, two storey, dwellings, (consisting of 4 x 3 bedroom, 4 x 4 bedroom, 2 x 5 bedroom) on the area of the property that runs parallel to High Street up to Rack End; main access would be via the existing High Street farm access with a possibility of the existing access on Rack End giving access to the end property. In response to questions from councillors and members of the public regarding the provision of smaller 2 bed properties, implications for sewage and flooding, and carbon footprint, Mr. Surtees replied in general terms but said he would note these comments; he added that there would be engagement with the public via a mail drop prior to an application being made.

Mr. Parnham thanked Mr. Surtees for his presentation and stressed that the council could not make any formal comments until a planning application was received from WODC.


WODC Cllr. C. Maynard introduced himself as the new District Councillor and said he will do his best to serve the community. He said the District Council would now be run by a Liberal Democrat, Labour and Green coalition and he expected to serve on the Lowlands planning committee.

6.      PLANNING –

22/01023/S73: Variation of condition 2 (approved plans) relating to planning permission 17/00629/FUL to allow minor design changes to Plot 5: Land to The Rear Of 65 High Street Standlake: Mr N Hadfield. No objection.

Address assignment – land behind 65 High St. WODC have received a request from the developer to assign the name ‘Oxford Meadow’. The council considered the name should more reflect the locality and, in the light of the fact that the land was originally part of Lincoln Farm, decided on ‘Lincoln Meadow’. The clerk will request input from residents via Standlake News and Facebook before the deadline of 6th June.

7.      MINUTES - Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday, 26th April 2022, copies of which had been previously circulated to all members, were agreed as a true record, and were signed by the chairman.


Sewage/Flooding - Mr. Parnham reported the following: I had a meeting with Thames Water on the 5th May:

High Street Pumping Station: the works completed for tanker access when required meet the Thames Water standard.  If tanker activity causes further disturbance, it will be reviewed.  However, it was agreed that damage to the tarmac and kerbstones needs to be addressed.  I will continue to follow this through. Mr. Jeffcoat asked Mr. Parnham to put TW in direct touch with Mr. Ledger, (who constructed the lane and houses, and was also a resident) so he could discuss the tanker access surface material and give guidance regarding the tarmac and kerbstones. Mr. Parnham will do this.

Loose manholes: these have been marked and the plan is to address these on one schedule of works.  A road closure notice for High Street had been put in place for the end of May but owing to a cycle event this had been delayed.  The manholes in question are 'air vents' as opposed to main ingress points that had previously been addressed.  Again, I will continue to follow this through.

Roads/Traffic/Speedwatch Mrs. Knipe reported the following:  Speedwatch continues to gather momentum and now approaching 250 offenders have been reported since February which shows the importance of Speedwatch.  Thanks must be extended to the 12 trained operators and Robert Maxwell who works out the availability and schedules.  This week alone 9 sessions will take place.  In addition to the radar gun we have also made use of Speed Indicator Devices (SIDs) on Abingdon Road. 14% of drivers thought exceeding the speed limit is acceptable on Sunday morning!  We now have one further operator undergoing training and interest from another resident which is really appreciated.

A meeting was held on the 27th April with Geoff Barrell (OCC), Dan Levy (OCC Councillor), David Bevan (Standlake PC Clerk) and Brian Parnham (Standlake PC Chair) Mr. R. Maxwell (Speedwatch Coordinator) to review the following initiatives:

Solar SIDS on the A415 / Abingdon Road. Pedestrian Crossings at different locations on the A415 and Aston Road. 3. 20mph zone on High Street, Rack End and Church End to the Downs and on Aston Road, Brighthampton. Reduction from 60mph to 40mph or 50mph from the Downs Road from the A415 into the village. Speed reduction chicanes at different entry points into the village, for example Aston Road, The Downs, Rack End and Abingdon Road. Extension of existing 30mph (20mph see point 3 above) to beyond the Village Hall car park entrance. Extension of existing 30mph zone on Aston Road further towards Aston.

Line markings were also discussed.  It was felt the meeting was encouraging and further updates to follow.

Playground/Recreation Ground & MaintenanceMr. Parnham said Absolute Solutions had now completed the refurbishment of the playgrounds.

Environment Mrs. Burton reported: Delightfully half of the bird boxes are occupied. The trees at the High St and the recreation ground are very healthy. We have also put up bat boxes at Shifford Lane. The yellow rattle at the recreation ground bank is beginning to appear as well as a few different wildflowers. Councillors and other members of the village helped plant some plug plants. We shall be attending the St. Giles church Jubilee exhibition on Friday 3rd June.

Willows by church – Absolute Solutions will carry out a ‘tidying up’ exercise and then carry out a full pollarding in the Autumn.

Jubilee 22 – Mr. Rippin reported that the timetable of events was as discussed at the last meeting and arrangements were well advanced and there is to be a ‘Best Decorated House and Garden’ competition; entries required by 1st June. Mrs. Macdonald produced a sample of the mug to be given to all Standlake School children. The mug depicts the official Jubilee logo and, on the reverse, two designs by the school children, chosen by competition. Councillors were pleased with the mug design, but it was decided that the words ‘Standlake School’ be added to the production mugs.

Mr. Jeffcoat showed the Parish Council’s display boards he and Mrs. Macdonald had produced for the exhibition in St. Giles’ church on 3rd June. This highlights the activities of the Council in fields such as traffic calming, supporting the Nature Recovery Network and liaison with Thames Water, etc. Mr. Jeffcoat and Mrs. Macdonald were congratulated on the displays.

418 Bus – Mr. D. Miles reiterated his statements of last month in that he was satisfied that the service is financially stable and viable in the future but there had been extra costs related to the need to use better busses and employ paid drivers and any grant would be welcome.   Mr. Parnham said the requested business plan had been received and distributed to councillors and asked Mr. Miles to confirm that the request for a grant was for a one-off payment in this FY; Mr. Miles confirmed this. Mr. Parnham proposed a grant of £200 from the community fund and asked for comment. Mrs. Burton suggested £250, and this was agreed unanimously. The clerk suggested that, if a further grant was requested in the next FY, then it would be sensible for First and Last Mile to make that request before the council sets its budget in November 2022.

Litter Picking - Mrs. Macdonald said that, from her inquiries, the general opinion was that people wanted to help individually rather than in an organised group. She suggested that, initially, litter picking tools could be borrowed from the WI and then the matter of the Parish Council purchasing equipment could be looked at later. The provision of Hi-Viz jackets was discussed, and Mrs. Macdonald suggested that the jackets should have ‘Standlake’ on the front and ‘Village Volunteer’ on the back. Mr. Rippin said that this was a good idea as the jackets could be used by stewards at the Jubilee celebrations. Mr. Parnham will cost these, and it was agreed that they be paid for from the community fund.

9.      CORRESPONDENCE – Thanks from CAB West Oxon for grant.

10.   ACCOUNTS – The clerk said that the Annual Governance & Accountability Report 2022 had been distributed to councillors. Mr. Parnham proposed acceptance, Mr. Rippin seconded and passed unanimously. The report was then signed by the chairman.

The clerk said that the Council’s insurance policy was due for renewal on 1st June (at a cost of £1067.21) and reminded the councillors that this was the last year of a 3-year agreement; the policy had only been increased by index linking and a small increase for the addition of the Speedwatch equipment purchased last year.

The clerk reported that the council’s financial position was stable and in line with the current budget. £75 has been received from Mr. Jeffcoat as his contribution towards the CAB West Oxon grant agreed last month. The following accounts were approved for payment.

Absolute Solutions – mowing                                   £375.00

C. Cleland – churchyard mowing                             £352.00

CAB West Oxon – grant                                            £150.00

AGM – Hi Viz jackets for S’watch                               £65.95

Fenland Leisure Products – swing seats                   £160.80

11.   CO-OPTION OF NEW COUNCILLOR - Mr. Parnham said that one potential candidate has dropped out. The clerk will advertise the position again. Mr. Jeffcoat suggested that Mr. John Hardy, a Brighthampton resident, be approached. This was accepted and Mr. Jeffcoat agreed to contact him.

12.   DATE OF NEXT MEETING - Mr. Parnham noted the next meeting would be on 14th June 2022 in the Youth Club, Rack End at 7.30pm.

13.   There being no further business, the meeting closed at. 9.00pm.



Chairman   ....................................................................  Date …………………………………………………