Minutes of the Meeting of Standlake Parish Council, held in the Youth Club, Church End, on 13th June 2023 at 7.30pm


          Mr. B. Parnham               Chairman

          Mr. J. Rippin                  Vice Chairman

          Mrs. J. Macdonald

          Mr. D. Jeffcoat

          Mr. J. Clements

          Mr. D. Bevan                   Clerk

          OCC Cllr. D. Levy, WODC Cllrs. C. Maynard and L. Nicholls.

1.         APOLOGIES –Mrs. Knipe

2.         RESIGNATION OF MRS L BURTON – The clerk has received a letter from Mrs. Burton offering her resignation on family grounds. Mr. Parnham proposed that the council pass a vote of thanks to Mrs. Burton for her service and to wish her well in the future: this was agreed unanimously. Mr. Jeffcoat then proposed that the council should send flowers to Mrs. Burton: this was also agreed unanimously, and Mr. Parnham will make the arrangements.

3.         DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – There were no declarations of interest.

4.         PUBLIC ITEMS – no member of the public was present.

5.         COUNTY & DISTRICT COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS – see Cllr. Levy’s reports attached to these minutes.

Cllr. Nicholls said that, following the Parish Council’s reporting of concerns by a resident regarding the construction of 2 dwellings adjacent to 63 High Street, she had investigated the circumstances. While there was no question of changing the planning grant of permission, a visit by WODC had identified that there were some areas where the builders were not in compliance with the conditions of the application. This would be addressed by WODC.

Cllr. Maynard said that feasibility studies have now been carried out on re instating the Carterton to Oxford railway and the result is positive. Sources of funding are being investigated and it is hoped that current housing expansion will contribute. On Thames Water, the roll out of water meters continues and TW’s sewage monitoring figures are to be put into the public domain.

PLANNING – 23/01421/HHD: Proposed single storey garage (amendments to previously approved 20/02037/HHD) Larkfield House Lancott Lane Brighthampton: Mr & Mrs D Rivers. No objection.

6.         MINUTES - Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday, 9th May 2023, copies of which had been previously circulated to all members, were agreed as a true record, and were signed by the chairman.


Sewage/FloodingMr. Parnham reported the following: Thames Water: a problem with the lining on The Downs has been identified and contractors have been instructed to address.  No further updates or issues identified.  The situation is continued to be monitored. OCC - High Street: unfortunately, no further update has been received from OCC. We will continue to chase.

Roads/Speedwatch/20 mph restrictions – Mrs. Knipe reported the following (by email). A further 169 offenders were reported during May.  A sincere thanks to all operators who give up their time, many of whom still work but find the time to make our roads safer.  Feedback at the Fete on Sunday was really encouraging, and people believe the presence of our Hi-Viz jackets is making a difference!  Many were concerned to hear that most abuse has from cyclists when all we are trying to do is make the roads safer for all users.  This has been discussed with TVP who will attempt to have more patrols working with the groups.  Hopefully more volunteers will come forward from the village - even if you can give 1 hour per month that would be great - drop an email to speedwatch@standlakepc.org.uk

Other matters: 20mph zones - this is moving to formal OCC consultation and more information to follow. Pedestrian Crossings [Safe zones] / Traffic Calming on village entrances - meeting with OCC to be arranged. Speed Indicator Devices [SIDS] - along the A415. Costs is an issue here but as above meeting with OCC to be arranged. Average Speed Devices - cost is prohibitive and cannot by funded by external sources including the Parish Council. Downs Road - reduction from 60mph - surveys are required in the first instance but would need to be funded by the Parish Council which is not in the budget for this year.  We will continue to pursue.

Playground/Recreation Ground & MaintenanceMr. Parnham said that thanks were due to Mr. Pascoe for preparing the Rack End recreation ground and playground for the school Fete which was a great success.

Environment Mrs. Macdonald reported the following: Plants are growing well, but lack of rain is an issue - so the team have been out and about and have made the following observations.

The wildflower bank at the village hall is showing signs of a wide diversity of plants, following the management of the area in the Autumn.

Lucy Kennery from LWVP will assist with a survey of the site and mapping species in June.  This will enable us to record the density and diversity of plants in years to come.

The pollinator patch around the village hall has been noticed and admired and is encouraging a wide variety of insect activity.

A bird box at the village hall - much in use by the birds last spring, will be replaced by LWVP.  It has sadly been removed and has disappeared.

The Jubilee tree and the trees on the High Street are being monitored in this dry weather.

Discussions are ongoing about sites and sizes for planters around the village, funded from the Coronation fund.

20 bird boxes have been ordered from BNBG to enable the school leavers to have a workshop to make and take a bird box when they leave Standlake School.

Mrs. Macdonald said that she was completing a biodiversity survey and it was agreed that she do this on the Council’s behalf.

Defibrillator at School – Cllr. Levy agreed that he would support a request for a grant of £400 from the County Councillors’ Priority Fund for the replacement defibrillator. The clerk will complete the application form as soon as possible.

Buses/Bus Stop/Shelter – Mr. Jeffcoat said that the seats had now been installed and the provision of a timetable board is expected soon. He also noted that the shelter appeared to be well used.

Coronation – Mr. Parnham said he had sold more mugs at the school Fete with orders for some more. Once all the income and costs have been collated and passed to the clerk a final balance will be calculated and donations as previously agreed will then be made. With regard to the proposed planters, final numbers and locations have not yet been finalised. The clerk expressed his concern that there were no firm plans to ensure the upkeep in future years. Mrs. Macdonald was of the opinion that sufficient volunteers would be forthcoming.

8.         CORRESPONDENCE – St. Giles Parochial Church Council (PCC) have expressed concern regarding anti-social behaviour in the car park and are requesting the installation of CCTV in the area. After some discussion about the desirability and practicality of providing this, it was decided that Mr. Clements would investigate and report back.

In addition, the PCC are requesting the provision of water at the far end of the car park for visitors to the graveyard to be able to draw water for irrigating flowers on the graves. The clerk explained a pipe was installed, from the church to the entrance to the existing and new graveyards, when the car park was constructed. Some years ago, for numerous reasons, the PCC decided not to make the connection to the water supply at the church. It was agreed that the Parish Council would provide a suitably mounted tap at the graveyards, but it was the responsibility of the PCC to make the connection at the church.

9.         ACCOUNTS – The clerk reported that the council’s financial position remains satisfactory and within budget. Final figures from the Coronation expenditure/ sales of mugs are awaited before the fund can be wound up (see item 7 above).

Received: Mr. Parnham - from initial sale of mugs (102) £510.

The following accounts were approved: (paid*)

Absolute Sols - Butts path cutting                    £55.00*

Gallagher - insurance premium                    £1145.84*

C Cleland - churchyard mowing                      £372.50*

St Giles church - leaflet grant                         £200.00*

D C Bevan - clerk salary and expenses         £1648.70*

D C Bevan - key cutting (recreation ground)     £18.00*

Absolute Solutions - mowing                          £370.00*

AGM - coronation mugs                                  £127.44*

HMRC - clerk PAYE                                          £393.80



10.   DATE OF NEXT MEETING - Mr. Parnham said that the next meeting will be held in the Youth Club on Tuesday 11th July 2023 at 7.30 pm.

11.   There being no further business, the meeting closed at. 8.30 pm.


Chairman   ....................................................................  Date …………………………………………………


Dan Levy, County Councillor Report, 13 June 23

Carterton to Oxford Railway

The County Council commissioned a report on the feasibility of a railway from Carterton to Oxford via Witney and Eynsham. A line would greatly help those of us living to the west of Oxford, and make the A40 more bearable. The report has said that the line would be technically and financially feasible, albeit with a probable cost of £700m to £900m. There is clearly a huge amount of work ahead to turn this aspiration into reality.

There is an interesting article in the Oxford Mail on the topic, featuring WODC councillor Charlie Maynard, who is the Chair of the Witney-Oxford Transport Group. Witney campaigner says rail link 'urgent' as 1000s of homes planned | Oxford Mail

I very much share the aspirations for the railway.

Roads and Transport update.

Botley Road remains closed at the Railway bridge. Can I remind everyone that trains continue to run into Oxford, and that many buses are terminating at Osney, with a pedestrian underpass into the city. Other buses, including the rerouted S1, are going down Woodstock Road. Predicted chaos hasn’t happened!

Nuneham Viaduct has been repaired ahead of schedule and the line from Oxford to Didcot has been reopened.

Pulhams have been acquired by the Go-Ahead Group’s Oxford Bus Company.

Town and Parish charter.

OCC is looking at developing a ‘Town and Parish Council Charter’. Recognizing the importance of town and parish councils (incl. parish meetings) in local government, the charter would aim to strengthen how OCC works town and parish councils. The charter will be co-created through a process of engagement, kicking off in July.


Please do get in touch with comments, issues, and concerns.