STANDLAKE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a meeting of Standlake Parish Council, held in the Standlake Youth Club, on 12th October 2013 at 7.00pm.

Present:

          Mr. C. Naylor                                 Chairman

          Mrs. J. Bayliss

          Mrs. B. Smith

          Mrs. J. Clements

          Mrs. J. Perry

                                                             

          Mr. D. Bevan                                  Clerk

         

Cllr (OCC) Mr. C. Mathew, Cllr (WODC) Mrs. Hilary Fenton, Mr. P. Clements, Mr. N. Clack, Mr. B. Cade, Mr. H. Thomas and two colleagues from Thames Water.

1.          APOLOGIES –apologies were received from Mr. Reddy and Mr. Rippin.

2.          PUBLIC ITEMS – only Mr. Cade wished to speak and this regarding his application for two dwellings at 139–141 Abingdon Road. He stressed that he had made some amendments to the previously withdrawn application in an effort to address some of the Parish Council’s objections. In particular, the access had been changed to avoid another entrance onto the road; installation of a sewage disposal system on site; an offer of £40000 towards affordable housing off site. He answered questions and indicated that the cash offer for affordable housing was negotiable.

3.          SEWAGE PROBLEMS – report by Mr. Huw Thomas, Thames Water

Mr. Thomas produced a graph showing water flow levels over the past 11 months and, unsurprisingly, this merely confirmed what was obvious; there were very high flow rates in January/February followed by low flows throughout the dry summer. He explained that Standlake’s problem, in common with many other areas, was infiltration of surface water into the system and that this was very difficult to stop. Indeed even if funding was available following an approach to OFFWAT, to be made in 2014, there was no guarantee of success. He was pressed by Mr. Naylor and Mr. Mathew but, in essence, all that TW can offer is a better call centre response, dedicated to sewage flooding reports, and a more flexible, and hopefully efficient, deployment of tankers. Mr. Naylor left Mr. Thomas in no doubt of the inadequacy of this response and insisted that TW’s management be made aware of public anger at the situation. Mr. Thomas and his colleagues left the meeting at 7.45pm.

4.          COUNTY and DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORTS – there was nothing to report.

5.          DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – there were no declarations of interest.

6.          PLANNING

13/1402/P/FP – changes to wall etc., new gateway, install oil tank – OES Medical, Cotswold Dene. No Objection.

13/1485/P/FP – erection of two detached dwellings etc.– 139–141 Abingdon Road. Objection: Loss of open space; not infilling or rounding off; no provision for social housing; long history of refusal of applications to develop this land.

AB/13/1012/P/FP – notice of appeal – erection of a single storey extn – 137 Abingdon Rd. Noted.

13/1343/P/FP – grant of permission – erection of dwelling etc. -24 Aston Rd, B’hampton. Noted.

13/1386/P/FP – grant of permission – erection of single storey extn – The Chapel, Abingdon Rd. Noted.

7.             MINUTES

Minutes of the Meeting held on 8th October 2013, copies of which had been previously circulated to all members, were agreed as a true record and signed by the chairman.

8.          MATTERS ARISING

Flooding, Sewers, Winter, etc – see TW report above.

Busses, Bus Stops the Bus Survey is complete and Mrs. Smith has collated the responses. An outstanding response of over 25% (152 responses) to the 600 surveys delivered confirmed that residents value the services we have and consider that they represent a vital resource to rural communities and should not be cut. This has been sent to OCC in reply to the current consultation and copied to WODC. Mr. Naylor proposed a vote of thanks to Mrs. Smith for her hard work and this was passed unanimously.

Playground/Recreation Ground & Maintenance – nothing further to report at this meeting.

Traffic/Speeding a complaint has been received about apparent speeding on the Abingdon Road. The clerk has replied indicating that speed checks are carried out by the police on a regular basis and it is known that this is a matter of concern generally in the area. The clerk will ask Mr. Rippin to raise this again at the NAG.

Highway Maintenance recent repairs on the Abingdon Road have been poorly executed resulting in restriction of access to drains resulting in a build-up of road surface water. Mrs. Smith has reported this to OCC highways but has not yet had a response. .

Footpaths it was decided to apply through Mr. Mathew (Area Stewardship Scheme) for an all-weather path from the Post Office towards the Green. Mr. Mathew agreed to put this forward and the clerk will send him full details.

Roads, Newbridge – nothing further to report at this meeting.

War Memorial – the renovation of the War Memorial completed in time for Remembrance Sunday and all attending agreed that the contactors produced an excellent result. Mr. Clack, on behalf of the Royal British Legion, thanked the council for carrying out the work

AED (Automated External Defibrillator) – Mr. Mathew informed the council that Standlake had been selected to receive an AED free of charge. The clerk has passed the details on to the Primary School who are fund raising for a project to obtain an AED.

9.          CORRESPONDENCE –

          Request for donation Oxon Assn for the Blind - agreed £50 to be paid at the December meeting

          Insurers letter re gritting/snow clearance – restrictions and conditions on council carrying out clearance etc.

          Clerks & Councils Direct Magazine

10.       ACCOUNTS

The following accounts were approved for payment:

Absolute solutions - tree cutting, ditch clearing       1,055.00

West Oxon CAB - donation                                          50.00

WODC – W way playground wasp nest removal            81.95

Standlake V Hall - annual car park contribution         500.00

Inspire Conservation - War Memorial renovation         745.91

St Giles PCC - churchyard upkeep                              600.00

D C Bevan – printing & distribution of bus surveys     109.15

11.       BUDGET 2014/15

With only minor changes to the initial discussion a budget of £20385.92 was agreed and the Precept will be set at £21000 – the same as this FY.

12.       MEMBER’S REPORTS

There were no member’s reports.

13.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

The clerk reminded the meeting that, as is customary, the December meeting will deal with payment of accounts, planning and urgent business only. The clerk also said he would be away for most of the month of February 2014 and suggested that the January meeting be held late in that month and no meeting be held in February. This was generally accepted and a date for the January meeting will be decided in December. There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.15 pm.

 

 

...................................................................................... Chairman   .................................................................... Date