Minutes of a meeting of Standlake Parish Council, held by telephone/online conference call on 9th June 2020 at 7.30 pm.


          Mr. B. Parnham   Chairman

          Mr. J. Rippin  Vice Chairman

          Mrs. S. Adams

          Mrs. S Garrett

          Mrs. A. Knipe

          Mrs. L. Burton

          Mr. D. Bevan       Clerk

Mr. C. Mathew (OCC) Mr. S. Good (WODC)   Mr. B. Cade

1.      APOLOGIES – no apologies were received

2.      DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – There were no declarations of interest.

3.      PUBLIC ITEMS – Mr. Cade, who will be the builder of the 2 properties which are the subject of the planning application before the council wished to address the objections the council expressed to his previous application which was refused by WODC. He had previously submitted a document to the clerk (which has been distributed to councillors) stating his reasons why the council’s earlier objections should not apply to this new application. Briefly, they were as follows: Thames Water, WODC and OCC had clearly dismissed the objections regarding sewage, flooding and access; in the matter of objection to more large expensive housing he stated that there was a need, demonstrated by the fact that he already had buyers for the proposed properties without advertising them. In reply to Mr. Good’s question regarding environmental sustainability of the properties Mr. Cade said that he built to the latest environmental standards and gave examples.

4.      COUNTY & DISTRICT COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS – Mr. Mathew had little to report except that there was concern regarding promised government aid and when it would be received. Mr. Good also had little to report but paid tribute to the council’s officers who were working under difficult conditions.

5.      PLANNING - 20/01120/FUL: Erection of two detached dwellings and associated operations: Land East Of 90 High Street Standlake: Mr Maximilian and Mr Alexander Stephenson.

The clerk reminded councillors of the need to make objections on valid planning grounds. In this case the council has made clear its position on flooding/sewage/access in objections to the previous application for this site which was refused - but not on those grounds. While councillors could, of course, object on any grounds they wish, the clerk suggested that continued objection on those grounds would not be productive. The application was put to the vote and an objection on the grounds of noncompliance with WODC Local Plan policy H4 was carried by 4 votes to 2.

6.      MINUTES - Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday, 19th May 2020, copies of which had been previously circulated to all members, were agreed as a true record and will be signed by the chairman at a later date.


Sewage/Flooding – the latest update from TW adds nothing to what has already been said and Mr. Mathew commented that he was not satisfied with their latest email. Mr. Parnham he will continue to engage with  TW and keep up the pressure.  

Roads/Traffic/Speeding /Traffic Calming – nothing further to report at this meeting.

Playground/Recreation Ground & Maintenance – There appears a possibility that the government will allow reopening of playgrounds in the near future. If, and when, that happens Mr. Parnham will make an inspection and arrange for Absolute Solutions to open the gates.

Path by Notice board. still awaiting estimate from OCC.

Hornsway Trees – Mrs. Burton has been in contact with OCC re the planting of trees and is awaiting further response. She reported that there is a dead tree in the area where she proposes to plant and asked about ownership of the land on which it lies. The clerk said that ownership may be very difficult to ascertain but to see what OCC has to say in the first instance; as the tree was not blocking, or a danger to the path, they may not take action.

8.      CORRESPONDENCE – Request re entrance to Lincoln Farm Park. A request has been received for lines to demark the footpath crossing the entrance. Mr. Parnham will contact OCC to see if this can be arranged.

9.      ACCOUNTS – the following accounts were approved for payment.

Came & Co – insurance premium                                                                                          £951.08

St Giles – churchyard upkeep 1st half                                                                                 £1410.00

D C Bevan – clerk salary & expenses                                                                                  £1221.60

HMRC – clerk PAYE                                                                                                               £292.40

10.   HORNSWAY MAINTENANCE – Mrs. Adams has questioned whether the parish council should maintain Hornsway. The clerk explained that there were funds available to cut the edges of the path but in the past money has been wasted because there is no notification by OCC of when they are carrying out a cut. Mr. Mathew agreed that this was not ideal and Mr. Parnham said he will contact OCC regarding the cutting and ask for a schedule.

11.   ANY OTHER BUSINESS – The next meeting will be via telephone conference call on Tuesday 14th July 2020 at 7.30pm. There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.30 pm.



....................................................................................... Chairman   .................................................................... Date